Monday 18 February 2013

Email from Texas

Hands across the sea

You may be interested in some correspondence from the other day. It just goes to demonstrate the geographical reach of our humble village blog. As to be expected, the majority of page views originate from the UK, but we also get visits from the USA and Russia as well, with a handful from France, Poland, Sweden, Spain, Australia, Lithuania and the Netherlands too! Amazing.

"..... Please forward this e-mail to Mr. Hall if you are able. I read a fascinating blog he wrote on the Darcy (D'Arcy) family's history in Nocton and Lincolnshire. I am of that lineage. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother was a Dorsey in Annapolis, Maryland (USA) and I've traced the Dorseys/Darcys back to Norman D'Arcy (D'Areci). I'm still trying to establish a direct link from him to the Dukes of Normandy. I have read some accounts that say Norman D'Arcy was son of William D'Arques (not the monk) who was a son of Richard II, Duke of Normandy and his mistress.

I know proving I have a connection to royalty plus a pound note might buy me a cup of coffee, but it's fascinating stuff nevertheless. I was in the UK 30 years ago on an extended bicycle trip and was treated extremely graciously everywhere I went. I have since developed the geneological itch and hope someday to make it to Nocton and show my son where some of our ancestors once lived. Thank you for your kindness and consideration in this matter.

Hands across the sea!"


My initial impression was that the writer assumed I had been the author of much of the material included in the blog... and there was a need to dispel this myth before furthering our correspondence. This is a short extract of my reply:

"..... Just to avoid raising your hopes, I must clarify that I have no personal research knowledge of Nocton and its Lords of the Manor. I am just a mere collator of miscellany that relates to our village. This material has been obtained from many sources, but much of it comes from the older residents in our village who have kept information in hard copy.

When I moved into the village, I decided to take on the task of making this accessible, by reproducing it electronically... and I found the blogosphere the ideal mechanism to do this.

I do not have any historical knowledge myself I’m afraid, as I have not actually carried out the primary research. Furthermore, I do not retain historical facts well, even after having read and typed material out. I therefore tend to be reliant on using my own blog as a resource, if ever I need to refresh my memory.

Sadly, I must point out that all the information I have about the Darcy family, is already reproduced in the blog.

I’m really sorry I cannot assist with furthering your research. May I wish you the very best in your mission. If however, there is anything else I can assist with, please do not hesitate to ask.

Yours sincerely,"


Ripples across the pond eh.

Updated 19th February

"Dear Mr. Hall:

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I realize that you must be spread pretty thin with your various writing and civic responsibilities I have seen online. Nonetheless, I'd like to thank you in advance for making some of my forefathers come alive off the page in your Nocton blog. I'm new to this geneology addiction, but the difficulty in researching a cold trail does little to deter me. When all one knows is the meager info the web provides... death dates, multiple possible birth years... it was a Eureka moment to have read your blog and learned some of the politics, family history, and motivations of the Darcys.

Thanks again for your excellent writing, and for answering my e-mail. If I ever make it back to the mother country, I hope you'll accept my invitation for a pint or two over dinner.

All the best,"


What a lovely fellow... and I concluded with:

"Dear ****,

It is really nice to receive this feedback. Thank you ever so much.

I believe it is important to leave a small footprint as we progress through life. The years pass by all too fast in my experience, so there is a danger we leave things too late to make a difference. If the blog has been of some assistance to you, it makes the effort all worthwhile.

If you do manage to visit the UK again, please do get in touch, I would be delighted to meet up and give you a guided tour of the village and the estate... concluding with a pint and a bite to eat.

Best regards,
Geoff "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: All comments are moderated and will not be posted until screening has taken place. This is to ensure no foul language is posted online. Please leave your name if you are making a comment, even if it is just a first name - thank you.