As part of the GNGE project to improve the railway from Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln, Network Rail is continuing to make improvements.
Key elements of the GNGE project include:
- a new signalling system leading to increased capacity and faster trains;
- continuous welded rail, reducing noise and vibration
- replacement of 34 bridges to allow modern freight trains to use the line
- the largest ever programme of level crossing modernisation, helping to minimise barrier down times and improve road layouts
- replacements of barrow crossings at stations to enhance safety and improve access for all users
The GNGE project is being delivered by an alliance of companies comprising Network Rail, Babcock International, Carillion and Siemens.
Not only has there been a considerable investment in replacing many of the road bridges (e.g. Wellhead Lane and Main Street) and improving railway crossings (e.g. Metheringham), there is further work being carried out to stabilise the rail banking too. All of the overhanging vegetation has been removed with overlying mesh installed to secure the ground.
|Network Rail - banking stabilisation|