Thursday 17 March 2016

Tax can be taxing

My old job

Currently short of Nocton topics, I thought my readers might like to see what I used to do for a living.

An article popped up on a friend's Facebook profile recently and although it was dated 2009, it sums up exactly the job of the tax inspector. Furthermore, the guy used to work in Manchester Taxes during my years over in the North West.

I remember coming home at night and my kids asking me: "What exactly do you do at work dad?". When I used to try explaining, their eyes just glazed over. My daughter is nearly 34 years old now, and my son is heading towards 36... perhaps they might read the following and find it interesting. When I'm long gone, at least my digital legacy will be left behind!

The tax inspector: Happy returns

It is an unpopular job, but someone has to do it

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/10/tax-inspector

Tax Inspector - Job Profile

'Tax inspectors investigate cases to make sure the correct amount of tax is being paid and that fraud has not taken place.'

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/taxinspector.aspx

Working for HMRC

'With 56,000 staff, who collectively help bring in over £500 billion in tax revenues, from more than 45 million individuals and 5.2 million businesses, we are a major business with serious responsibilities. HMRC is much more than ‘the tax man’.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/about/recruitment

Tax inspections and how to avoid them

Good records, tidy accounts and accurate tax returns...

http://www.startupdonut.co.uk/startup/tax-and-national-insurance/tax-inspections-and-how-to-avoid-them

Early warning for tax evaders

'Tax, as has often been quoted as one of the only certainties in life; tax evasion and avoidance have been with us since tax has been levied by government on its citizens. For example the Window Tax of 1695, introduced by William III resulted in architects redesigning houses with fewer windows, householders bricked up existing windows. This had a negative impact on the glass industry, and some believe that the phrase ‘daylight robbery’ originated from this.'

http://www.proactiveresolutions.com/2015/07/27/early-warning-for-tax-evaders/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: All comments are moderated and will not be posted until screening has taken place. This is to ensure no foul language is posted online. Please leave your name if you are making a comment, even if it is just a first name - thank you.